Welcome to 2021!
Are things magically better yet? Probably not, but I think we are all looking forward to things getting back to “normal”. 2020 was an interesting year full of highs and lows. We had a ton of plans that didn’t materialize; some due to our new friend COVID-19, some due to other unexpected reasons. Unfortunately my husband Kyle was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, which is now mostly controlled but can flare up randomly. Those flare ups put a damper on many of our pandemic plans, but regardless we were still able to go on some fun adventures and I met (and even exceeded) a number of my goals. Here’s to 2020 being over and the start of a new year!
My goals for 2020 were ambitious to say the least. And while it’s disappointing to have had so many cancelled plans, I was still able to accomplish a lot. Here’s a little taste of my 2020.
- Completed (Fully or Partially):
300 days outside
- This was my main focus though I didn’t talk about it on my blog at all. I made it a goal to do an outdoor activity at least 300 days this year and I posted one picture each day to my Instagram @colorado_chelsea. I reached 300 days on 12/30/20 with just one day to spare. My most frequent outdoor activities included walking our dogs and hiking.
500 miles walked, 100,000′ elevation gain
- Including both walks and hikes, I reached a total of 897 miles and 126,966′. This is certainly the most I’ve ever walked in one year and I’m extremely happy with this total!
- Reach state high point #5
- I made it to 3 new state high points this year, reaching #4 total: Kansas, Oklahoma, and Colorado.
- Go to 3 new national parks
- Kyle and I made it to 2 new national parks this year: Saguaro and Joshua Tree. We visited these in February, just before COVID really hit the US.
- Reach 14er #15
- I climbed 1 new 14er this year, reaching #11 total.
Reach 13er #50
- I needed to climb 21 new 13ers to complete this goal and I climbed 25.
- Finish all 8 of my redemption hikes
- I was able to finish 7/8 of my redemption hikes. Goat Mountain, I’m coming for you!
- Climb a peak in the remaining Colorado ranges: Elk, Gore,
- I visited a new range this year (San Juan) and climbed 3 13ers while I was there! Now I just have 2 ranges left.
- Didn’t get around to:
- Complete Segment 8 of the Colorado Trail
- First Class 3 route (13er or 14er)
- Hike to a hot springs
2021 Wish List
It might make sense to have easier goals for 2021 but I like to dream big and plan a lot. I can’t wait to see what 2021 has in store!
- (4) Colorado 14ers
- (3) state high points
- (2) national parks
- (1) segment of the Colorado Trail
- (35) Colorado 13ers
- Hike to a hot springs
- Climb the ever elusive Goat Mountain
Thanks for sticking it out with me for another year!